Had our yearly gas safety check. And *everything* failed.
The cooker failed, the boiler failed (and is apparently pumping out horrid stuff outside whenever we use the hot water - right under my lodger’s window and into the kids play area. And if there was further wear it would start pumping into the kitchen/house) and also the emergency value on the boiler has been installed upside down which is illegal (that boiler has been there since before we’ve moved in almost 6 years ago…), and the pipes to the gas meter in the cellar are not attached properly (last year it was found one of the ones outside pipes wasn’t attached properly but those were fixed - apparently the ones downstairs were missed as they are fastened in the same very unsafe way). also got told it was good that the takeaway moved last week as their out take vent is unclean, greasy, unsafe fire hazard, especially with out boiler leakage so close to it.
As a result, our gas has been turned off completely and big “condemned do not use” stickers are on those things. So no hot water, no cooking with the cooker or hobs, and my house and garden feels like a death trap. I’m more eager to move out of my gentrified hell hole than ever (seriously, the only things I will slightly miss is having a lovely corner shop and a post box practically on my doorstep, and I can find another house near a corner shop and/or a postbox). My goal is to be out before my eldest is secondary age in case he wants to go to school (I on’t send him to school around here, just going to the park near the school is uncomfortable to me with the UKIP/BNP types regularly ruining my day).
We’ve been here almost 6 years, had these checks each year, and it’s starting to feel like all those passes were by people not paying attention (the illegal upside down emergency valve has been here the whole time). I can forgive last year’s person because he was kinda freaked out by our gas pipe outside (I thought it was a water out pipe as it is which why the odd/loose angle hadn’t concerned me until gasman told me that was a gas pipe) and was focused on fixing that but all the other complete passes…and as my meters have been checked repeatedly this year due to our complaints about our former energy company, I’m wondering how many people missed that ticking bomb.
So I’m uncomfortable and planning to have takeaway. My lodger had bought us a microwave on sale last week that we haven’t put in yet as well which is great timing for a horrible events.